Monday, July 8, 2013

I have been reading a Pride and Prejudice continuation focusing on Anne de Bourgh. Given Anne's delicate constitution and her nephew's having married "that insolent girl" Lady Catherine has taken it upon herself to gather all elligible bachelors, at once, to Rosings and select the proper husband for Anne. As my youngest daughter is nearing her sixteenth birthday, I have been fantacizing about my idea of a perfect birthday party.

First, I obtain a list of elligible young men throughout the stake. I can talk to friends, Young Men's presidents, etc. Then, for her party, we have a contest for who gets to be the first date.

Category 1: Obstacle Course measuring speed, strength and agility
Will he be able to protect my daughter?
Will my daughter be able to protect herself against him?
Will he be able to return my daughter safely before curfew?

Category 2: Spirituality and Scripture Mastery
Can he quote by memory 5 scriptures on chastity?
Did he remember to pray before coming to this party?

Category 3: Cooking
Can he follow a recipe and make a meal by himself?
Does he know that Top Ramen is not a meal?

Category 4: Mental Readiness
What books did he read this summer?
What are his post college plans?

Category 5: Social Skills
Can he list five interesting topics of conversation that do not include: video games, sex, or mocking others?
Can he tell me three things my daughter is personally interested in?


Ah, to have lived in a world where parents got to choose. I think we could do such a great job.

0 comments: