Thursday, March 12, 2009

Pero and Coffee are not the same?

I recently painted an old white lamp and needed a new non-white lampshade to go with it. I recently caught a show on HGTV where they made a white lampshade off-white by painting it with tea applied with a sponge brush. They said if you want it darker, try coffee. I had some herbal tea in my cupboard so I tried. The shade was still just too light. Having no coffee in the house, I thought I'll just substitute Pero. Smells like coffee, looks like coffee, should paint like coffee. I tried it and the lamp looked not perfect, but good enough. I was so pleased with my frugality. Haha. Then it dried. All the color pooled together in these scary lightning bolts (or are they angry dinosaurs?). In case anyone else caught that show and wants to try it at home....:-D...either Pero and coffee are not the same, or you have to start off with a much nicer lampshade than I had. All these things shall give me experience and now I know. Good thing life is filled with laughter.

5 comments:

Steph said...

So funny! Sounds like something I would do.

cjdustin said...

I love that story! You should keep the lampshade just for the conversation value!

Jim Marshall said...

I would think this is what you wanted.

Tamara said...

Ha ha! And, no, Pero is not the same. That's why it's in YOUR cupboard!!!!

Erika Amonett said...

You are so adventurous, Steph. I watch HGTV all the time and still don't have the guts to try anything! ;)