The kids, the four youngest still at home, and I went to visit my grandma for Spring Break this year. We had a great time, as usual. Played games, got through some of her honey-dos, shopped and just had a great visit.
On the way home we shopped a little more so it took us an hour and a half to get from Meridian to Caldwell, but then we were on the road and planning to be home in plenty of time for dinner. Kristen did a great job of driving through the Blue Mountains. We hit some rain, hail, sleet, and a little snow, but she had no problems. We switched drivers when she got tired and I took over once the roads were perfect again. I just barely got back onto the freeway when suddenly I had no control over the speed of my car. The speedometer went to 0 and I couldn't seem to get past 2nd gear. This was right before descending the steep and winding hill into Pendleton, OR. This is a hill that makes me nervous on a perfect day as brakes or transmissions are always getting ruined there. First thoughts, "I don't want to pay for a new transmission now! and How will I get us home?!" OK. The transmission was letting me park, reverse, and get into 2nd, so I had a little control. I'm frantically calling both my husband and my dad as I head down the hill. I tried to stay over to the right, put on my hazards, and coasted in neutral being as gentle on the brakes as I possibly could. I didn't know if I should stay in low gear to save the brakes or neutral to save the transmission. I decided brakes were cheaper and luckily the mechanic said I did it just right to save both. Pure inspiration as I had no idea how to drive in that situation! Jay called our mechanic here and found out it was probably just the speed sensor and shouldn't be a big expense. Dad found a transmission place on the internet and called them for me. They also thought it was probably a speed sensor and promised if there was one to be had in Pendleton, they'd get me on my way ASAP and if not, they could get me a distressed traveller discount at the Oxford Inn.
The van coasted down the hill smoothly and without incident, though it would've been difficult to pry my white knuckles off that steering wheel. We were able to coast all the way to the casino exit and then putt along at probably 20 mph the several miles to the shop. We prayed that the mechanic would be good and honest and he was. (Ziegler Transmission in Pendleton.) They probably had us out of there in less than an hour and charged less than $150 and we were on our way. That was really nice since their shop was extremely busy, but they put travellers ahead and the owner took care of our car.
Thinking back, many miracles were a part of this day. Firstly, the sensor went out because the tab to hold it in place wasn't there. Our transmission was replaced over 18 months ago and that is probably when it broke. It hung on for that long! Second, Kristen had just quit driving and she could've been the one stuck on that hill. So glad it happened on my watch. Third, though at the time I was terrified to think it was happening on that hill, that was the one place we could totally coast to an exit without travelling at speeds dangerous on a freeway. What, for instance could've happened if it had gone out when I was in a left lane crossing the 205 bridge and suddenly my car slowed to 20 mph.? Fourth, that I could get help. A few miles earlier I would've been in trouble with nowhere to go for help and out of cell phone range. My dad was making these calls for me from his mission apartment in Santiago, Chile! A miracle in and of itself. He was also inspired to get us to good, honest people who did a great job and took care of us. Also, it is cool to think about he engineer who made cars go into safe mode to save the transmissions when the sensor stops working.
I am so grateful that we are all home safe and still have a van that works great. Life really is beautiful!
Friday, April 3, 2009
Miracles on the Road
Posted by Tess at 6:55 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Wow, what a trip. I'm glad you made it home okay.
I'm so glad you were safe and the beneficiary of a bonafide miracle!
Post a Comment