Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Rain Never Sounded so Good

Every year we plant a garden. Last year, after our champion digger pet passed on, we extended the size of our vegetable garden, added a strawberry garden and planted six blueberry plants. Unfortunately, this process took so long, we didn't get our garden in until late June. The peas tasted terrible, the tomatoes didn't do very well, and even the zucchini was somewhat sparse. The birds ate every last strawberry. We did freeze a lot of green beans and put up a lot of raspberry freezer jam, but we were just too late for everything else. It seems every year we wait too long, then we get a month of rain and we're late! The sound of rain haunts me this time of year as a reminder that I didn't get the garden planted on time again.

The last two days were dry. Two days in a row! One day to dry out and last night we got the vegetables all planted. I can't wait for fresh tomatoes and peas to eat straight out of the garden, young, tender zucchini in our stir-fry, fresh green onions, cucumbers and mixed lettuce for our salads, butternut squash, canteloupe and hopefully my jam will turn out better this year! When I woke in the middle of the night to the sound of gentle rain, I thought, "Rain on and feed my garden!" What peace! My tastebuds are already tingling.

1 comments:

cjdustin said...

We're in the late group. We still haven't planted. It hangs over me.