Thursday, February 5, 2009

Being Silly in my 40s


Yesterday I got the call that those aforementioned bifocals were in. Jillian went with me to pick up the glasses and I was so excited to be able to see better. Then they pulled out the glasses, tried them on me and left to make some minor adjustments. Jillian, always a sweety, said, "Those look nice, Mom."

"Thanks. I wanted the lavender ones."

"Really? Where are they? I want to see." She went off to see and yes, she liked the lavender too. "Why didn't you order the lavender?"

Because my husband, trying to be helpful, thought the gold would go with more, but told me to get whatever I wanted. The guy helping me order said gold looked better with my coloring and would go with more things, but get whatever I wanted. I ordered the gold. As the technician(?) came back with my glasses, she overheard. "Do you want me to switch? I can change them. It won't cost anything."

"I don't know. Would I look ok in silver and lavender instead and could I still wear them with colors like red?" At this point I actually opened my eyes and noticed she was sporting a very fashionable pair of purple glasses herself. She claimed purple was her favorite and she wears hers with everything.

For 44 years, I have tried to be sensible, but the lavender made me smile. The gold looked boring. You all will laugh, because these are not fancy glasses, nor can you really notice at a glance they are lavender, nor would I consider lavender to be a favorite color, but they made me smile. I made arrangements to switch and went back today to pick up my lavender bifocals. If you're old enough to wear bifocals, you're old enough to smile about it.

Wait till you see the reading glasses I picked out! They're going to look so fab with my pjs!

3 comments:

Steph said...

My glasses are dark purple and I love them.

Anonymous said...

I love the lavendar ones! Glasses are something that can be lots of fun and don't have to be so "generic." Give those eyes a party! :)

Tess said...

Steph, I don't think I've ever seen you wear glasses. I am going to be watching now!

Thanks, Angie!