Sunday, January 11, 2009

Day 11 - Breakfast Smells

Feeling a little sick of being so materialistic I'm done with now for favorite things in my house. Today I'm grateful for the scent of breakfast cooking.

A couple months back I started to worry about my 17-year-old. He was leaving before 6 a.m., starting off his school day with grueling workout in PE, often missing lunch to do homework, going to tennis after school and coming home exhausted! He was just too tired to eat before he left each morning, so I made a deal with him. If he'd drive himself to seminary and come home right afterward, I'd have a hot breakfast ready for him at 6:50 every morning and then I'd drive him to school. On Friday's he'd bring his friends with him.

This quickly became my favorite time of day. Too much of life I find myself telling him what to do or what not to do. Is your homework done? How's your room? But breakfast is just fun. We have a nice visit, usually just the two of us, about anything or nothing. He has the greatest sense of humor. I hear about the funny things that happen every day in school. I love being around him.

I hardly ever eat it with him since I'm not much of a breakfast food kind of person. I prefer a chocolate instant breakfast every day, but the smell of bacon reminds me of my great kid and I can't wait for him to get home every morning.

0 comments: