Monday, January 12, 2009

Day 12 - School on Trains

One of our favorite fieldtrips every year is "School on Trains" from Amtrak. We take the train from Vancouver to Seattle, spend five hours in Seattle, and ride the train back again. This year we went to the Klondike Gold Rush National Park. (It's really an old hotel in the Pioneer Square part of town.) The kids got their junior ranger badges.


We loved learning about the gold rush and it's impact on Seattle. Seattle was nearly dead during that time of economic trial, but the gold rush through Alaska and into Canada made Seattle a thriving place to stock up on supplies.


I love "home" school. We do it everywhere and love discovering new things together.







3 comments:

Tamara said...

Every yeear I love "home" school even more. Pretty soon all my kids will be old enough it won't have to always be "home." Then we can do the train thing, too!

Tamara said...

Nice spelling error!

The Morgans said...

If you ever do this again let me know and maybe I will pull my girls out of school for a day