She loved to cook. In fact, when I was young she was head lunch lady at the high school. The kids loved her because she loved them. On the farm, before we bought the nice automatic stacker, during hay season, which happens 3-4 times a year, there would be a whole group of men working together to help each other stack hay. When they worked on your fields you fed them. Grandma would have a huge spread laye
d out: fried chicken, fresh homemade rolls, potatoes and gravy, sliced cucumbers in vinegar water, a wilted lettuce salad from the garden, fresh sliced tomatoes from the garden, homemade jams and pickles, homemade root beer and then homemade pies ala mode for dessert. No matter how much she had, she'd say, "I sure hope this is enough for all of you, 'cuz that's all I have." We'd all laugh because there was so much food on the table, we could barely find room to put our plates.
This picture of a woman at peace making pies reminds me of my grandma - joy in service. I am not as fond of cooking as my grandma, but I keep this around to remind me to have joy. I hear that she wasn't always a great cook and that does give me hope.

0 comments:
Post a Comment