Saturday, January 3, 2009

Day 3 - Grandma Great's fruit

This plaster fruit hangs over my kitchen sink to remind me of my Grandma Great. (We had two great grandma's living at opposite ends of the same farm. One was Grandma Great and the other was Great Grandma.) Great painted these plaster fruits in the early 1950s. I didn't even know she ever painted until after she died. She was more famous for her crocheting and molasses cookies.

When I was very young Grandma Great had a stroke and had a very hard time speaking. I barely remember when she could speak, but she could pat your hand or smile at you and you would feel completely and unconditionally loved! She could crochet anything and made each of her grandchildren a granny square afgan. Grandma, her daughter, would gather yarn of all colors for her and Great could make the most awful colors look beautiful together. She always promised she would teach me. Like a normal kid, I always thought I'd have more time so I put it off year after year. Eventually Great had to go live in an assisted living home and I didn't get to see her every day like I used to when she was a mile from our house. Once a week, I could take the car to school so I could go to my piano lesson right after school and my route all over Ada County, Idaho, took me near Great's new house, so I would stop in and she'd teach me to crochet. Without many words, I didn't know names for any stitches, but she would crochet and say, "Now you." Then I would try. She'd smile, pat my hand and say, "No," and then she'd rip it out and show me again. Eventually I made hot pads and learned how to make a granny square afgan. The day after I passed off the granny square, my grandma went to visit her and Great was just holding yarn and a hook in her hand with a puzzled expression. "What's wrong, Mom?"

"I...........can't..............remem...ber." That was the last day my Grandma Great crocheted. I'd hardly ever seen her without a project going my entire life.

Grandma Great is my example of patience, love and service. They all blended together for her. How did she remain so pleasant and loving when so much of her life while I knew her was out of her control. I never saw her complain that she couldn't do anything or complain at all. She just continued on in grace and love and served every way she knew how. Little kids always flocked to her as they could feel her peace and love. I love having that fruit right above my sink as something about the dishes task is one I tend to forget my patience. Thank you Grandma Great!

0 comments: